THE REV CHARLES LUTWIDGE DODGSON (1832-1898), OTHERWISE LEWIS CARROLL, AUTHOR AND MATHEMATICIAN: COLLECTED RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Access restrictions may apply. For more information, see our Access to Records Policy.
Help with searching
- SHC Ref No: LC
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: (1855)-2015
- Description: This accession includes two autograph letters of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, LC/7/1-2, and a photocopy of a brief letter which does not appear in M Cohen, Letters of Lewis Carroll (op. cit. below), LC/44. An original sketch by Sir John Tenniel prepared for the 'big puppy' illustration in Alice in Wonderland is also held, LC/3.
The majority of records listed here have much in common with the series DFC/F/, collected 'Carrolliana': exhibition and theatre programmes, newspaper cuttings, promotional material concerning places related to Charles Lutwidge Dodgson and Alice, such as Guildford, Daresbury and Llandudno.
The newscuttings, photocopied items and digital printouts mostly relate to Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's centenary in 1932 (-/190-192).
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: This accession was used as an accruing collection of Lewis Carroll related material from a variety of sources between 1966 and 1998. Some individual donors are noted in the item descriptions below.
Originally, published books and periodical articles were included in this accession. These were in the main removed from this accession, and added to the library catalogue in 2006.
-/190-192 were presented by Beth Mead, trustee of the Dodgson estate, in March 2012. -/196 was presented by Neil Crombie of Swan Films, London, in January 2015.
In October 2017, items bequeathed by the Lewis Carroll scholar Professor Morton N Cohen were added to this accession, as noted in item descriptions below. (Books from Professor Cohen's library collection were added to the History Centre Library and their descriptions may be accessed via the Surrey Library Catalogue.)
- Bibliography: Morton N Cohen, ed., The Letters of Lewis Carroll, 2 volumes, c.1837-1885 and 1886-1898 (1979);
Guildford Borough Council [SF Corke], Lewis Carroll in Guildford, booklet accompanying exhibition at Guildford House Gallery, Jul 1989 (LC/125/2)
- Arrangement: The present arrangement groups material contemporary with Charles Lutwidge Dodgson first (out of numeric sequence), followed by the main body of the list, records relating to the celebration and study of Lews Carroll and his work, in numeric order.
The following numbers are not in use: LC/2/1/1, 11, 14, 16, 19, 22-24, 27, 29, 31-33, 35, 38, 45, 47, 61, 66, 69, 74, 81-82, 91, 94, 102-103, 105-106, 120, 124, 161-162, 164-165, 168, 171, 174-176.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
If you are unable to visit Surrey History Centre to consult our records, we offer a paid research service to search a range of historical documents and local studies collections for names, properties, or topics on your behalf. Our fees range from £20 for half an hour’s research to £120 for three hours’ research. Please search our catalogue and then contact us below to check if we hold relevant records for your research. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Copying services
We offer a digital copying service, as well as photocopies, microform copies and certified copies of baptism and marriage certificates. Please refer to our table of fees and then contact us below to check the suitability for copying. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Contact us