GLYN FAMILY OF EWELL: ESTATE AND FAMILY RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Access restrictions may apply. For more information, see our Access to Records Policy.
Help with searching
- SHC Ref No: 6832
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: -1944
- Description: The majority of the documents relate to Glyn family property in Ewell but also deal with estates in London, Dorset and Glamorgan. One of the most significant items is a 16th century copy of a survey and rental of the manor of Ewell, 1408
(-/1/1/1). The Glyn family were rectors of Ewell in the 19th century and, therefore, much of the collection relates to parish matters, such as the erection of Rectory House in the 1830s (later Glyn House) and the rebuilding of the parish church in 1846-1847, for which the architect was Henry Clutton of London (sometimes known as Henry Clutton of Hartswood, to distinguish him from another architect of the same name). Papers relating to parish charities are included in the collection, as well as papers which are, strictly speaking, Ewell parish records. The 20th century papers of the collection include those relating to the construction of the Ewell by-pass road (A240).
Papers relating to the activities of the Glyns in the militia in the early 19th century are present in the collection, along with a range of contemporary family diaries, some of foreign travels.
- Admin History: In 1709, William Lewen (1656-1721), a London merchant, acquired an amount of property in Ewell, including the rectory with the advowson. As well as properties in Surrey, he owned several farms and estates in other counties and later became Lord Mayor of London in 1717, as well as being knighted.
Lewen died without issue, leaving his property to his three nephews, Charles, George and Robert. George had a daughter, Susannah (d.1751), who married Richard Glyn in 1736. At that date, she is reported to have been worth 30,000 and in 1743, all the Ewell properties belonging to Robert Lewen were granted to Glyn, along with those in Dorset, Gloucestershire and London.
Richard Glyn, the founder of the Ewell Glyn baronetcy, was said to have descended from the Glyn family of Glyn Llivon in Caernarfon, North Wales. Glyn himself (1711-1773) was a prominent drysalter or oilman in Hatton Garden. He was a man of substance and standing in the City and was a founding partner of the Vere, Glyn and Hallifax Bank, which opened in 1754. He was knighted in 1752, served as Lord Mayor of London in 1758-1759 and was granted a baronetcy by George II in 1759. He was also MP for the City from 1758 to 1768 and later MP for Coventry.
Richard and Susannah had three sons but only one, George, survived them. The Glyn properties descended through George to his eldest son, Sir Lewen Powell Glyn, 3rd Bart (d.1840), and then to his second son, the Rev Sir George Lewen Glyn, 4th Bart (1804-1885), vicar of Ewell, 1831-1882.
The Glyn Estate was liquidated on the death of Sir Arthur Glyn, 7th Bart, in 1942 and the properties sold by Barclays Bank as executors of his will. The sale of much of the real estate in the personal possession of his sister, Miss Margaret Glyn, is documented in the Staneway papers held at Bourne Hall Library and Surrey History Centre (ref 6407).
- Level: Collection
- Related Material: For further papers relating to the Glyn family of Ewell, see K86 and the Ewell parish records.
For an album compiled by Margaret Glyn to celebrate the life and work of her brother Sir Gervas Powell Glyn, 6th Baronet (d.1921), see 6916/-.
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Deposited by the library manger, Ewell Library, and the curator, Bourne Hall Museum, Ewell, from April 2000.
The Glyn papers were originally purchased by Epsom and Ewell Borough Council in three portions: part from Leigh Vaughan Henry, inheritor of the wealth of Miss Margaret Glyn, in 1958, after he had sold much of the collection; part in 1962 from Mr W R Hipwell, a former neighbour of Leigh Henry; and part from a Surbiton antiques dealer to whom the documents had been sold for making lampshades from the parchment. More were acquired through gift from local historians and benefactors.
A list of the items in numerical order (as originally listed by library staff) is available at Surrey History Centre. The original numbers have been retained in this list in square brackets at the end of each item entry.
From a list provided by Bourne Hall, the items were acquired as follows:
items 1-77: purchased from a Surbiton antiques dealer;
items 78-487: purchased from the estate of Leigh Vaughan Henry;
items 488-918: purchased from WR Hipwell, a former neighbour of Leigh Henry;
item 919: 'Wright purchase';
items 920-954: 'Henry purchase'.
- Bibliography: For further details of the Glyn family and this collection, see Charles Abdy, The Glyns of Ewell: The Story of a Family, 1736-1946 (Abdy, 1994), from which many of the explanatory notes in this list have been drawn.
- Arrangement: This catalogue is based on a card catalogue compiled from extracts made by museum and library volunteers, Phyllis Davies, Mabel Dexter and Nita Yardley. The documents had been numbered by library staff in the order in which they had been received, with no attempt to group items in any way. This led to items relating to the same event, same transaction etc being scattered throughout the collection. This list is an attempt to arrange the catalogue by subject and/or type of record and date. As mentioned above, the original numbering given by library staff has been retained in this list in square brackets at the end of each item description.
Notes about the arrangement of the deeds may be found at the beginning of the Title Deeds section.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
If you are unable to visit Surrey History Centre to consult our records, we offer a paid research service to search a range of historical documents and local studies collections for names, properties, or topics on your behalf. Our fees range from £20 for half an hour’s research to £120 for three hours’ research. Please search our catalogue and then contact us below to check if we hold relevant records for your research. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Copying services
We offer a digital copying service, as well as photocopies, microform copies and certified copies of baptism and marriage certificates. Please refer to our table of fees and then contact us below to check the suitability for copying. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Contact us