CLUTTON FAMILY OF HARTSWOOD AND DOVERS LODGE, REIGATE AND BUCKLAND, AND OF SUSSEX AND ELSEWHERE: DEEDS AND ESTATE, MANORIAL AND FAMILY RECORDS
The following describes the contents of this collection in the Surrey History Centre archives. Access restrictions may apply. For more information, see our Access to Records Policy.
Help with searching
- SHC Ref No: 257
- Repository: Surrey History Centre, Woking
- Date: 1298-1945
- Description: The records in this accession include deeds relating to the Cluttons' Hartswood estate in Buckland and Reigate, Dovers Lodge in Reigate and the Sidlow Mill estate in Horley including part of Cuddington Farm; records relating to the administration of Hartswood and Dovers Lodge Farm, 1793-1928; papers relating to the involvement of the Cluttons in local affairs, including the establishment of a church school at Sidlow Bridge; and papers relating to their property in Barnes and Bristol and to their investments and other financial affairs. Records relating to their Sussex estates include court rolls and rentals of the manor of Arches in Framfield, 1476-1776, and deeds relating to the manor and other property in Framfield, Mayfield, Buxted and Uckfield from the mid 13th century. A group of records at the end (-/13/-) relate to the extensive estates of Peter Burrell of Langley, Kent (1754-1820), created Lord Gwydir of Gwydir, Caernarvon, in 1796, for whom the Cluttons may have acted as agents.
- Level: Collection
- Access Status: Open. There are no access restrictions.
- Provenance: Deposited by the executors of Miss Clutton in 1967.
- For more information contact: Surrey History Centre
This document forms part of a collectionHierarchy
A collection is arranged in order to show context. This means that it will have been catalogued to preserve its original order where possible. The catalogue will be arranged into sub-sections such as series, files and items so that related records appear together. Your current record is highlighted in bold and the folder it is in shows its context. From here you can explore the collection further by opening up folders (select the + signs) and viewing details of any other records shown (select the text). Catalogue Jump to this document in the hierarchy
If you are unable to visit Surrey History Centre to consult our records, we offer a paid research service to search a range of historical documents and local studies collections for names, properties, or topics on your behalf. Our fees range from £20 for half an hour’s research to £120 for three hours’ research. Please search our catalogue and then contact us below to check if we hold relevant records for your research. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Copying services
We offer a digital copying service, as well as photocopies, microform copies and certified copies of baptism and marriage certificates. Please refer to our table of fees and then contact us below to check the suitability for copying. If we are able to help, we will send you a quote with a link to the online payment page.Contact us