SURCAT contains details of almost all the catalogued archival collections held at Surrey History Centre.

These include the official records of Surrey County Council from 1889 and its predecessor, Surrey Quarter Sessions, which begin in 1659, and also records of districts, borough and parish councils within the modern county of Surrey, including ancient boroughs such as Guildford, Godalming and Farnham.

Also held are records of Anglican parishes within the diocese of Guildford and of parishes within the diocese of Southwark other than those in the portion of the county taken into London in 1889 and parishes within the London Borough of Sutton.

Other collections in the Centre's care include those of:

Catholic and non-conformist churches;

Major businesses such as Dennis Specialist Vehicles Ltd of Guildford and John Broadwood and Sons, piano manufacturers;

Manorial, estate and family records of many of the leading families of the county including the More-Molyneux of Loseley Park and the Brodricks, Viscounts Midleton of Peper Harow;

Schools and charitable institutions;

Clubs, societies and local organisations, including Surrey County Cricket Club and Epsom Grandstand Association;

The infantry regiments associated with the county including the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, the East Surrey Regiment and the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment;

Notable individuals associated with the county including the author C L Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), the playwright R C Sherriff and the garden designer Gertrude Jekyll.

Surrey History Centre continues actively to collect records of organisations and individuals within the modern county of Surrey. However it should be noted that some of its holdings relate to areas which were once within the ancient county but which are now within Greater London.

Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019