SHC ReferenceLM/SECTIONA
TitleESTATES OF THE MORE AND MORE MOLYNEUX FAMILY OF LOSELEY PARK, IN SURREY AND ELSEWHERE: DEEDS AND PAPERS
DescriptionThe records broadly relate to the management and inheritance of estates. Not included in this section are title deeds associated with the estates, LM/334-LM/359 (Loseley and other estates), LM/847 (Daniel family estates in Norfolk); LM/1083 (Gresham estates in Lincolnshire, including Tetney; manor of Daniells, Gannock, Hertfordshire; and Middlesex); LM/1084 (Hendley family estates in Kent and Sussex, including Cuckfield deeds re Earl of Warenne); LM/1687 (Cornwallis family estates in Carmarthenshire); and LM/778 (Molyneux family estates in Lancashire). These are all listed in section G.

Records relating to family and estate matters frequently relate to several of the functions into which the list has been divided, whether through, for example, a volume being used to record a variety of information, or through re-use at a much later date (this is particularly the case with financial records). Where possible, all estate material is described in this section of the list, but is otherwise cross-referenced.
Date(1279)-20TH CENT
LevelCollection
IntroductionChristopher More had moved to Surrey from London by 1505 and married Margaret Mugge, daughter of a well-established Guildford family (otherwise Mudge). He had purchased both moieties of the manor of Loseley from Humphrey Sydney and John Westbrook by 1508, when the family moved into the manor house, (a smaller building than the present one, probably to the south of it). Further acquisitions during Christopher's lifetime included the manor of Compton Westbury (1535), St Catherine's Hill, and many properties in Artington and Compton (see surveys LM/1592 and LM/1647 below). Christopher More also purchased an estate at the Blackfriars in c.1540 (see LM/345/101).

His son William More expanded the estate with purchases including the manors of Polsted (1558) and Catteshall (1565), and the Blackfriars estate of Sir Thomas Cawarden (1560). In 1601 his son George was granted the vast manor and hundred of Godalming which, covered much of south west Surrey, and encompassed the manors of Artington and Haslemere.

In c.1563-1569, William More built a new house at Loseley on a more impressive scale than the medieval manor (see Folger ref MS Lb.550, account for building Loseley House, 1560-1569, and LM/2025 below, list of timber used in the rebuilding). A further west wing including a chapel was added by George More between c.1602 and 1605 (see LM/826/15 and LM/799 below; the wing fell into disrepair and was pulled down in 1826).

By the mid 17th century, during the tenure of Poynings More, the family began to encounter financial difficulties, and a lease of Loseley was apparently considered at that time (see LM/817 below, and LM/COR/5/-, letters of John Wight, steward, to Poynings More while More was living in Covent Garden). Disputes over the inheritance of Sir William More's estate (d.1684) appear to have led to the sale of some Guildford property (see inter alia LM/1296 below), and by the time Robert More's death in 1689 ended the male line, the estate was involved in debt, and probably in poor repair. The marriage of Margaret More, the co-heiress, to Thomas Molyneux of Lancashire (1689) brought new money to Loseley: the house was leased to Lord Torrington in February 1691 for 7 years (LM/352/13/1), but subsequently improvements and alterations were made to the house (the position of the front door, the staircase and probably the carved gallery) and the garden (see inter alia LM/1362 below for a garden design, c.1706).

Additions to the estate during the 18th century included the manors of Puttenham Priory and Puttenham Bury: however, following the death of Thomas More Molyneux in 1776, and the inheritance of his sisters Cassandra (d.1777) and Jane (d.1802) Loseley appears to have fallen into some disrepair and the demesne was once more leased (LM/358/110). Estates in other counties and the manor of Haslemere were sold during Jane’s tenure.

During the 19th century the house appears to have been leased several times, while family members lived at St Catherine's Hill.

Further alterations designed by Henry Woodyer were made to Loseley House in 1874 (see LM/1373/8-11 below), and a nursery wing was added in 1877 (The Loseley Challenge op. cit.).

Owners of Loseley

Christopher More (d.1549), 1508-1549
William More (1520-1600), 1549-1600
George More (1553-1632), 1600-1632
Poynings More (1606-1649), 1632-1649
William More (1643-1684), 1649-1684
Nicholas More (1615-1684), 1684
Robert More (d.1689), 1684-1689
Margaret Molyneux (nee More, 1660-1704) and Thomas Molyneux (d.1719), 1689-1719
William More Molyneux (1690-1760), 1719-1760
Thomas More Molyneux (1724-1776), 1760-1776
Cassandra More Molyneux (1725-1777), 1776-1777
Jane More Molyneux (1729-1802), 1777-1802
James More Molyneux (1760-1823), 1802-1823
James More Molyneux (1805-1874), 1823-1874
William More Molyneux (1835-1907), 1874-1907
Gwendoline More Molyneux (c.1876-1946), 1907-1946
James Robert More-Molyneux (1920-2013)
Michael More-Molyneux
ArrangementThe records comprise: records relating to the descent of the family estates, including probate records and material relating to settlements; whole estate surveys and rentals; records relating to ownership of manors and the hundred court of Godalming, listed in order of acquisition; records of the management of the Loseley estate and other Surrey properties; records relating to individual properties; records relating to properties in Surrey and other counties with which the Mores and More Molyneuxes were involved through marriage.
Access restrictionsThere are no access restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019