SHC ReferenceK85
TitleHATFEILD ESTATE IN MORDEN, MITCHAM, MERTON, MALDEN, CARSHALTON, CHEAM, SUTTON AND ELSEWHERE: DEEDS AND PAPERS
Date[1458]-1935
LevelCollection
ProvenanceDeposited by CA Rivington Esq, Parker, Garrett & Co Ltd (incorporating Rivington & Son) of Cornhill EC3, for the executors of GE Hatfeild, in January, March and April 1962.
IntroductionThe collection comprises a large number of deeds and papers relating to the estates of Gilliat Hatfeild in Surrey and elsewhere. The Surrey estate consisted primarily of property in Morden, Mitcham, Merton and Malden, but also included lands in Carshalton, Cheam, Sutton and adjacent parishes. The non-Surrey estates included property in Hertfordshire, London, Middlesex, Sussex and Yorkshire.

The Surrey estates were largely, though not exclusively, acquired by Gilliat Hatfeild from the Garth family, who had owned the manor, rectory and advowson of Morden from 1553. The collection includes a series of documents relating to the dispute between Francis Metcalf, vicar of Morden, and Richard Garth, over the tithes of Morden, c.1584-1591 (K85/3/-).

Gilliat Hatfeild, a tobacco manufacturer, whose family had leased the snuff mill at Morden from 1831 (see K85/2/100-101), acquired much of the Garth Morden estates in the 1870s and 1880s (see -/2/-). He also acquired part of the former Carew Estate, including the Ravensbury Print Works and associated buildings at Mitcham (see -/4/-). Gilliat Hatfeild's son, Gilliat Edward Hatfeild, sold the freehold of Morden Park to Merton and Morden Urban District Council in 1936 as a permanent open space. On his death in 1941, Morden Hall passed to the National Trust.
Related RecordsFor further deeds of land in Morden, Merton and Mitcham owned by Gilliat Hatfeild, see 313/-. For further documents relating to this Estate received in 1960 from the same solicitors who were stewards of the manor in the late 19th century, see K80/4/43-4 and K80/5 and 6.
Access restrictionsThere are no access restrictions.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019